The Center for Healthy Communities HealthLink and AHEC Region IV present an annual series of continuing education seminars for health care professionals and interested community members. Seminars address current topics in health promotion and disease prevention, with special focus given to the underserved areas or populations in our community. HealthLink Seminars are held quarterly at Madison Lakes Learning and Conference Center in Montgomery County. In addition to an educational presentation, each seminar features local resources related to the topic under discussion.
Seminars for 2015
8:30 a.m.–3:45 p.m., Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015:
“Understanding Barriers to Learning”
- What interferes with learning in children and adults?
- What difficulties do individuals with learning challenges face?
- How can we make a difference in the outcome?
This seminar will provide professionals with information about individual and environmental factors that affect learning in children and adults in the Miami Valley. In addition, participants will learn about locally available resources related to disabilities and learning. Professionals will use this information to assist clients and their families.
- Christine M. Abbuhl, Ph.D., Psychologist, Dayton Children’s Hospital
- Rhonda Mercs, M.S., LPCC-S, Director, Urban Child Development Resource Center, University of Dayton
- Michelle Sherman, L.S.W., Family Advocate, Urban Child Development Resource Center, University of Dayton
- Vernellia Randall, J.D., Professor Emeritus, University of Dayton Law School
- Jennifer Barga, M.Ed., Disability and STEM Support Specialist, Office of Disability Services, Wright State University
- Jason Gepperth, M.Ed., Disability and STEM Support Specialist, Office of Disability Services, Wright State University
Madison Lakes Learning and Conference Center
581 Olive Road
Dayton, Ohio 45427
Registration, refreshments and resource tables open at 8 a.m. There is a $40 non-refundable registration fee. Registration opens Nov. 2 and closes Dec. 1, 2015.
Past HealthLink Seminars
Seminar flyers will be posted as soon as they are available. Click on a topic to view a PDF of the seminar flyer
CHC HealthLink and AHEC Region IV Planning Committee
The CHC HealthLink and AHEC Region IV Planning Committee membership includes social workers, nurses, counselors and public health professionals in Montgomery County who work together to develop an annual series of educational seminars that address current topics in health promotion and disease prevention, with special focus given to the underserved areas or populations in our community.
- Sharon Becker, Good Samaritan Health Ministries
- Kristin Belcher, HelpLink 211
- Amy Boyle, Retired Social Worker
- Cindy Bradley, Center for Healthy Communities
- Theresa Busher, Social Security Public Affairs
- Kimberly Conner, Center for Healthy Communities
- Michelle Cox, Sinclair Community College Nursing
- Angela Dugger, AIDS Resource Center Ohio
- Kimberley Freeman, Public Health—Dayton Montgomery County
- Carla Lachecki, Center for Healthy Communities
- Sr. Rose Morand, Retired Social Worker