The Center for Healthy Communities HealthLink and AHEC Region IV present an annual series of continuing education seminars for health care professionals and interested community members. Seminars address current topics in health promotion and disease prevention, with special focus given to the underserved areas or populations in our community. HealthLink Seminars are held quarterly at Madison Lakes Learning and Conference Center in Montgomery County. In addition to an educational presentation, each seminar features local resources related to the topic under discussion.
Seminars for 2015
8:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m., Tuesday, Sept. 22, 2015:
Protecting Our Community: Understanding Domestic Sex Trafficking
- What is sex trafficking?
- Why does it matter?
- How does sex trafficking impact our community?
This seminar will provide professionals with information related to sex trafficking in the Miami Valley. In addition, participants will learn about locally available resources related to sex trafficking and how to respond when a victim is identified. Professionals will use this information to assist clients and their families.
Presenters: Tonya Folks, Cofounder and Chief Operating Officer, BE FREE Dayton; and Detective Melanie Phelps-Powers, Human Trafficking Detective, Montgomery County Sheriff’s Office.
Madison Lakes Learning and Conference Center
581 Olive Road
Dayton, Ohio 45427
There is a $20 non-refundable registration fee. Space is limited. Registration opens Aug. 11 and closes on Sept. 13, 2015.
For more information, download the flyer or contact Cindy Bradley, (937) 775-8248 or email@example.com.
Past HealthLink Seminars
Seminar flyers will be posted as soon as they are available. Click on a topic to view a PDF of the seminar flyer
- June 19, 2015: The Heroin Crisis: Our Community’s Challenge
- March 10, 2015: Montgomery County Health Disparities: Tackling the Diabetes Epidemic (PDF)
- September 9, 2014: Montgomery County Health Disparities: A Closer Look at Diverse Populations with Alzheimer’s Disease (PDF)
- March 11, 2014: Montgomery County Health Disparities: Do you really know? (PDF)
- December 10, 2013: Cultural Competency (PDF)
- September 10, 2013: Infant Mortality in Ohio (PDF)
- June 11, 2013: Ethical Dilemmas for Health and Social Services Professionals (PDF)
- March 12, 2013: Ex-Offender Reentry: Challenges and Opportunities (PDF)
- December 11, 2012: Responding to the Needs of Returning Veterans (PDF)
- September 28, 2012: Cost of Poverty Experience (PDF)
- June 12, 2012: Health Literacy: It's Time to Take It Seriously! (PDF)
- March 12, 2012: Childhood Obesity: A Growing Challenge (PDF)
- Dec. 13, 2011: Caring for Children: A Relative Situation (PDF)
- Sept. 30, 2011: Preventing Violence to Improve Women's Health (PDF)
- March 15, 2011: The Many Faces of Dementia (PDF)
- Dec. 14, 2010: Navigating Resources: Where to Start (PDF)
- Sept. 21, 2010: Increased Violence: Enough is Enough! (PDF)
- June 15, 2010: Beautiful Minds: Mental Health & Recovery (PDF)
- March 16, 2010: Ohio Benefit Bank: the Untapped Client Resource (PDF)
- Dec 8, 2009: Provider Tool Kit for Challenging Client Situations (PDF)
- Sept 22, 2009: Responding to the Needs of Returning Veterans (PDF)
- June 16, 2009: When Disaster Strikes Planning and Recovery (PDF)
- March 24, 2009: Hard Times Coping with Economic Change (PDF)
- Feb 17, 2009: Ethical Dilemmas – Recognizing Boundaries (repeat) (PDF)
- Dec. 2, 2008: Ethical Dilemmas – Recognizing Boundaries (PDF)
- Sept. 16, 2008: Childhood Learning ChallengesImpact on the Family (PDF)
- June 24, 2008: Feeding the Mind and Body of the Elderly (PDF)
- March 25, 2008: Legal Awareness for Those Serving the Hispanic and Immigrant Community (PDF)
- Dec. 11, 2007: Health Literacy It’s Time to Take It Seriously! (PDF)
- Sept. 25, 2007: Housing and Disabilities The Emerging Issues Affecting Fair Housing in the New Millennium (PDF)
- June 26, 2007: Effectively Serving the Growing Hispanic Community (PDF)
- March 20, 2007: Relatives Raising Children - Kinship Care (PDF)
- Dec. 5, 2006: Family Holidays - Coping with Grief and Loss (PDF)
- Sept. 26, 2006: Facing a New Health Crisis ... Job Loss, Financial Stress (PDF)
- June 27, 2006: Community Medical Services for Low Income Residents and Medicaid Managed Care (PDF)
- March 28, 2006: Mental Health Services for Children and Adolescents (PDF)
CHC HealthLink and AHEC Region IV Planning Committee
The CHC HealthLink and AHEC Region IV Planning Committee membership includes social workers, nurses, counselors and public health professionals in Montgomery County who work together to develop an annual series of educational seminars that address current topics in health promotion and disease prevention, with special focus given to the underserved areas or populations in our community.
- Sharon Becker, Good Samaritan Health Ministries
- Kristin Belcher, HelpLink 211
- Amy Boyle, Retired Social Worker
- Cindy Bradley, Center for Healthy Communities
- Theresa Busher, Social Security Public Affairs
- Kimberly Conner, Center for Healthy Communities
- Michelle Cox, Sinclair Community College Nursing
- Angela Dugger, AIDS Resource Center Ohio
- Kimberley Freeman, Public Health—Dayton Montgomery County
- Carla Lachecki, Center for Healthy Communities
- Sr. Rose Morand, Retired Social Worker