Global Health Inititative Travel Insurance, Checklist and Warnings

Health Insurance

Students are required to have health insurance coverage while traveling abroad. The WSU Boonshoft School of Medicine insurance coverage remains in effect while students are traveling internationally. If you have a different insurance plan, please make sure your plan covers you abroad.

Evacuation Insurance

Evacuation insurance is required for international travel. This insurance provides emergency assistance worldwide and allows you to leave the country easily in the event of an emergency while you are gone. Many insurance companies do not incorporate this feature into their plans and some travel abroad programs encourage you to purchase evacuation insurance from them. As Wright State students, we can obtain evacuation insurance for free from the University Center for International Education (UCIE) in E190 Student Union (next to the bookstore). In order to get your insurance card, you will need to fill out the one-page International SOS form and turn in a copy of your passport to the UCIE.

Contact Monica Ratliff in the UCIE at (937) 775-3106 or, or visit the International SOS Insurance page on the UCIE web site if you have additional questions.

Extended Health Insurance

The International SOS insurance provided through Wright State doesn’t cover hospitalization or extensive health care in the event of an emergency.  Monica Ratliff, the WSU education abroad advisor, recommends purchasing extended health insurance through Wallach Insurance.  Again, this is just a recommendation.  This insurance is just $9 per week and should cover anything that might not be covered on another health insurance plan.  To purchase the insurance, go to Wallach Insurance. Once you get to the site, if you are 29 years old or less, please click on “HealthCare Global 2000” and if you are 30 years of age or older, please purchase “HealthCare Global.” Once purchased, please send the confirmation email to Monica at so she can put it in your file to keep the university informed should something happen on your trip.

Combined Travel & Health Insurance

There are hundreds of circumstances that could cause you to cancel your trip, return home early or need to seek emergency medical treatment while traveling abroad, and this can all amount to a large expense for the traveler.

“On one occasion when I was traveling to Peru, I got stuck in Dallas for two days due to a weather delay that grounded all flights, and my team missed our connecting flight in Lima through a different airline.  Neither airline would be flexible with my team, and we had to scramble to repurchase our connecting flights and rearrange our itinerary.  It ended up costing us $10,000 more than was planned for the whole team, which would have been completely covered by purchasing travel insurance for approximately $22 a week per person," student Jon Stofer reported after a recent trip.

Travel Guard insurance offered by AIG is suggested. Information is available on the Travel Guard website.  This insurance is both travel and extended health insurance that can be used to cover a variety of issues you might encounter while traveling.  Most travel agents can reserve this insurance when flights are booked if you check with them first.  You can get more information and request a quote for your next trip by downloading this Travel Guard document.

Travel Checklist

Travel Warnings

Medical students planning on traveling internationally are encouraged to review Wright State University's policy guidelines to ensure that they are informed of WSU's involvement in their trips before departure. In addition, it is advised that students check to make sure the country of interest is not on the U.S. State Department Travel Warning List before making additional plans. The site provides a concise list of the countries that are currently under travel warnings along with the date the warning was issued. Students can refer to this link for a quick update.

The University Policy on international travel is 9510.10. Most pertinent to medical students are sections that require medical students to obtain travel insurance from the University Center of International Education (UCIE) and to obtain approval from the WSU provost for traveling to countries issued with a "travel warning." University Policy 9510.10 reads as follows:

9510.10 International Travel

  • Since the University Center for International Education (UCIE) has direct access to an emergency medical, evacuation, and repatriation travel insurance and related information, the UCIE must be notified in writing of any international travel prior to departure. This insurance is available at no cost to all faculty, staff, and students who travel abroad on university business or a Wright State sponsored program. An insurance card will be given to travelers by the UCIE prior to departure. Access to an insurance representative will be available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week anywhere in he world in the case of emergency. Access to clinics, prescriptions, and evacuation and repatriation are also available through this coverage. Through proper insurance registration, travelers will automatically be registered with the local United State Consulate, as recommended by the United State Department of State.

    With respect to 9510.10a, any payments made to, or on the behalf of, the traveler which exceeds the limit of insurance coverage or are given as an emergency cash advance are to be fully reimbursed to Wright State.
  • Anyone participating in an education abroad program (i.e., traditional study abroad, exchange programs, internships abroad, or international service learning) must attend the UCIE's Pre-Departure Orientation prior to travel. This includes any faculty or staff member who will be supervising the trip.
  • Additional international health insurance must be purchased for any student, faculty, or staff member participating on a Wright State education abroad program.
  • Travel to countries with a United States Department of State "travel warning" must be approved by the Office of the Provost prior to departure.
  • ALL federally funded travel must comply with the Federal Travel Regulation, and the U.S. Fly American Act found at; a United States flag carrier MUST be used for this travel. Therefore, all foreign travel on grants must be approved in advance by The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (RSP). Use Banner account code 746900 to complete the FOAP on all Travel Authorization (TA) forms and submit the TA to RSP for approval with the flight itinerary. Upon returning from the foreign travel, the Travel Expense Report must be approved again by RSP.
Last edited on 09/28/2016.