Two pathways for applying: civilian and military
The application processes can be complicated. We hope that this page will make the them easier for you.
- ACGME # 1103812039
- ERAS # 201133
- NRMP # 2011110C0
Requirements for civilian applications
Civilian applicants should apply through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Register via the Electronic Resident Application System (ERAS). Only electronic applications are accepted. You will need to provide the following:
- Curriculum Vitae (CV).
- Personal statement.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Medical Student Performance Evaluation (dean's letter) from your medical school.
- Official transcripts from your medical school.
Interviews are scheduled by invitation only. Notification is provided by e-mail. Interviews for civilian applicants typically occur on Mondays and Wednesdays during the months of November through January.
Requirements for military applications
Military applicants should apply through the Joint Service Graduate Medical Education Selection Board process:
- Download an application and CV format for the appropriate service.
- Mail a copy of your application and CV to:
4881 Sugar Maple Drive
Wright-Patterson AFB OH 45433-5529
(Roy Johnson, M.D., is the Military Program Director)
- Interviews are scheduled by invitation only. Notification is provided by e-mail, as well as telephone. Interviews for military applicants typically occur on Tuesdays during the months of July through October.
Answers to questions from international and osteopathic medicine applicants
- Do you accept international medical graduates?
Yes, we do accept international medical graduates. An EFCMG certificate is required.
- Do you sponsor visas?
As of September 1, 2009, we no longer sponsor visas.
- Is U.S. experience required?
No, U.S. experience is not required.
- Is U.S. citizenship required?
Either U.S. citizenship or Permanent Residency (green card) is required.
- Do you have a minimum score for USMLE exams?
No, there are no minimum score requirements. However, as emergency medicine is a competitive specialty, we do weigh USMLE performance when assessing candidates.
- How many years since graduation do you accept applicants?
There is no time limit.
- Will you accept COMLEX scores?
Yes, we speak COMLEX. While it is easier to compare candidates with USMLE scores, we do not require USMLE scores from osteopathic medical students/graduates.
For more information, contact:
Chris Kraft, Residency/Recruitment Coordinator
Boonshoft School of Medicine
Department of Emergency Medicine
3525 Southern Blvd.
Kettering, OH 45429-1221
Fax: (937) 395-8387