2018 Geriatric Update
This all-day geriatric symposium is for geriatricians, physicians, advanced practice nurses, nurses, and those who work with the older adult population.
Sinclair Community College
444 W. Third St.
Dayton, OH 45402
October 10, 2018
Contact: Theresa Cory, firstname.lastname@example.org, or 937-208-2144.
7:15 a.m. Registration
7:45 a.m. Welcome
- Steven Swedlund, M.D. – Director, Geriatric Fellowship Program, Assistant Professor, Department of Geriatrics, Assistant Professor, Department of Family Medicine, Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
8:00 a.m. Overcoming Challenges When Caring for Older Adults
- Larry Lawhorne, M.D. – Chair and Professor Geriatric Education Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
8:30 a.m. Rapid Geriatric Assessment: Implications Across the Continuum – Case Study Introduction
- Steven Swedlund, M.D.
9:00 a.m. Effective Management of Older Adult Care through the ED and Beyond
- Lori Nichols, RN, M.S.N., CCRN, ACNS – Geriatric Emergency Admissions, Atrium Medical Center
9:45 a.m. Morning Break
10:00 a.m. Effective Medication List Review & Deprescribing
- Mary Jo Trout, Pharm.D. – Director, Therapeutics Curriculum, and Assistant Professor, Department of Geriatrics, Pharmacology and Toxicology, Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
10:45 a.m. Managing Multiple Chronic Conditions
- Steven Swedlund, M.D.
11:30 a.m. Effective Communication: Promoting Positive Self-Care
- Paul Hershberger, Ph.D. – Professor and Director of Division of Behavioral Health, Department of Family Medicine, Wright State University Boonshoft School of Medicine
12:15 p.m. Lunch
1:15 p.m. Healthy Aging through Staying Active
- Harold Merriman, Ph.D. – Associate Professor, School of Education and Health Sciences, Department of Physical Therapy, University of Dayton
2:00 p.m. Updates in Geriatric Respiratory Care: COPD, Immunizations
- James Murphy, M.D., FACC - Pulmonologist
2:45 p.m. Afternoon Break
3:00 p.m. Updates in Geriatric Cardiac Care: Afib, CHF
- Mark Krebs, M.D. - Cardiologist
3:45 p.m. Pharmacological Management of Delirium
- Marty Eng, Pharm.D. – Associate Professor of Pharmacy Practice, Cedarville University
4:30 p.m. Excellence in Care – Case Study Review
- Larry Lawhorne, M.D.
4:55 p.m. Wrap Up, Q&A, Evaluation
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of Wright State University (WSU) and Premier Health. WSU is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
WSU designated this Live activity for 7.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
7.5 Contact Hours, including 2.30 Pharmacology Credits for APRN’s Premier Health is an approved provider of continuing nursing education by the Ohio Nurses Association an accredited approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Miami Valley Hospital (6786) is an approved provider for continuing education for AOTA; .75 AOTA CEUs is approved for this course. The assignment of AOTA CEU’s does not imply the endorsement of specific course content, products or clinical procedures by the AOTA. AOTA Classification Codes: Occupational Therapy Process: Outcomes. Keywords: Aging, Best Practices, Geriatrics/Gerontology.
This course has been applied for 7.5 contact hours from OPTA.
Miami Valley Hospital is an approved provider for continuing education for ASHA. This course is offered for .7 ASHA CEU’s (Intermediate Level, Related Area). Click for disclosure form.