Improve access to substance abuse treatment for African American women by providing the following services:
- HIV and hepatitis C rapid testing
- TREM (trauma education)
- SISTA (HIV and substance abuse education)
- Strengths-Based Case Management
- Referral to treatment/treatment
The primary goal was to improve access to substance abuse education and treatment as well as HIV testing & treatment for African-American women living in Dayton, especially in the Public Housing and surrounding areas.
Of the baselined consumers, 78.21% were tested for HIV and 71.79% were tested for hepatitis C.
When comparing the change in the mean number of days of use of those consumers using at baseline, there were reductions from baseline to follow-up. Illegal drug use showed a statistically significant decrease from about 20 days at baseline to 14 days at follow-up. Marijuana also decreased significantly from 19 days to 13 days over the same time period. Cocaine/crack use decreased but not significantly, probably due to the low number of users at baseline. Additionally, though not statistically significant, mean alcohol use also decreased from baseline to follow-up.
Jo Ann Ford
- Premiere Housing
- Mt. Olive Baptist Church
Publications and Presentations
- Ford, J.A., Gaddis, R., Kissell, K.M., & Kinzeler, N.R. (2018, August 27-30). Comparing two HIV prevention programs for African American women in Dayton, OH [Poster presentation]. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention STD Prevention Conference Washington, D.C., United States.
- Vinzant, V.; Ford, J.A.; Kinzeler, N.; & Kissell, K.M. (June, 2018). Engaging African American Women in Behavioral Health Services. Presented at the SAMHSA Virtual Grantee Conference.
- Ford, J. A., Kinzeler, N. R., Kissell, K. M., Williams, J., & Duncan-Alexander, T. (2016, October 29-November 2). Knowledge and behavior change maintained post-program for African American women enrolled in substance abuse and HIV prevention [Conference session]. American Public Health Association Annual Meeting & Expo, Denver, CO, United States.