Students who have prior documentation of a disability should:
- Refer to the Office of Disability Services website.
- Follow instructions on the Apply tab. Students do not need a referral from the School in order to use the services.
- The Office of Disability Services will evaluate the student’s situation.
Student must follow this procedure in order to have accommodations provided.
Years 1 & 2
Once a disability has been determined:
- Students must grant permission for the Office of Disability Services to send to the Associate Dean of Student Affairs a letter that includes any required special testing accommodations. In addition, students must notify the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions that they are registered with the Office of Disability Services.
- The Office of Student Affairs will contact the Office of Medical Education with the student’s name and special testing accommodations required.
- The Office of Medical Education will contact the student to make special testing arrangements.
The Clinical Clerkship Years
Students who require special testing accommodations must be evaluated by the Office of Disability Services and are responsible for the following steps:
- The student must make an appointment with the Associate Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions to discuss special testing accommodations before going to disability services.
- A description of special testing accommodations to be provided must be on file with the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions.
- Students must notify the Clerkship Coordinator at the beginning of each clerkship of the special testing accommodations that are required. The Clerkship Coordinator will verify the requested accommodations with the Office of Student Affairs & Admissions.
- The Office of Student Affairs will assist in making arrangements for the accommodation.
If a student does not notify the Clerkship Coordinator at the beginning of each clerkship, the student will NOT be permitted to have special testing accommodations. The student will be required to take the exam with the other students in the clerkship and will only be permitted the normal amount of time for the exam.
Approved by Executive Committee 9/17/15.