USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 CK Timing Requirement Policy
Students must take USMLE Step 1 before a date designated by BSOM to be eligible for promotion to the Doctoring year.
- If a student does not receive a passing score, the student will complete the clerkship currently enrolled, but will not be eligible to complete the remaining clerkships until the student passes Step 1
- The student will be required to take a one month intensive Step 1 Prep course, approved by the Office of Medical Education, with the expectation that the student must take Step 1 by mid-block in order to receive a passing score and return to the Doctoring year after stepping out for one block
- If a student does not receive a passing score after two attempts, the student will be referred to Student Promotions Committee (SPC)
Step 1 Delay
- Students who need to delay one Doctoring block in order to successfully pass USMLE Step 1 must be granted approval from both the Associate Dean of Medical Education and the Associate Dean of Student Affairs & Admissions. Students must receive a passing score prior to starting Doctoring Block 2.
- Upon approval of delaying Step 1, students will be required to complete a learning contract in conjunction with the Associate Deans of Medical Education and Student Affairs & Admissions; meet with the Scholarship in Medicine module director about scholarly project; and be enrolled in an advanced study prep course
- Students needing to delay by more than one Doctoring block must have renewed approval from both the Associate Dean of Medical Education and the Associate Dean of Student Affairs & Admissions by 4 weeks into Doctoring Block 1.
- Students who are unable to take USMLE Step 1 prior to the start of Doctoring Block 2 will be referred to SPC with a recommendation to repeat Year 2 of Foundations
Step 2 CK
Students are required to take the USMLE Step 2 Clinical Knowledge (CK) Examination no later than December 15th of their Advanced Doctoring year.
- Each student must have a passing score on Step 2 CK available at the time that the school certifies students for the NRMP Main Residency Match.
- Students who fail the USMLE Step 2 CK the first time must initiate contact with the Academic Advisor within two (2) weeks of notification to develop a study plan for re-taking either of these exams. The Academic Advisor will work with the student and appropriate faculty to facilitate remedial and review activities to correct deficiencies in knowledge or skills in preparation for the re-take(s)
- A second attempt on either or both exams must be completed within 12 months of the notification of failure(s). The Office of Student Affairs and Admissions will notify the student of the date the second attempt must be completed. This time limit applies even if the student is on a Leave of Absence
- If a student does not receive a passing score after two attempts on Step 2 CK, the student will be referred to SPC
Revised and approved by FCC June 24, 2020